1) ENGAGE – Remain current locally by attending DeCAGV-sponsored Movement for a Culture of Peace forums. On SAT., JAN. 9—9 to 11 a.m. at Hanover Presbyterian Church, 1801 N. Jefferson St, Wilmington,19802. Featuring RITA LANDGRAF, Secretary of Health & Human Services; DARRYL CHAMBERS, Public Safety Strategies Commission Member; SEN. MARGARET ROSE HENRY, (D-Wilm.); and REP. STEPHANIE BOLDEN, (D-Wilm.). The panel will discuss what still needs to be done to implement the high-level research and thinking that went into recent reports addressing violence in Wilmington.
2) CONNECT – Mingle and converse with others during DeCAGV-sponsored film/discussion events. “The Armor of Light” (Feb. 9) tracks Rev. Rob Schenck, anti-abortion activist and fixture on the political far right, who breaks with orthodoxy by questioning whether being pro-gun is consistent with being pro-life.
3) JOIN – Get in touch with the Delaware Coalition Against Gun Violence. We need volunteers to take action and join the genuine grassroots efforts of each state. DeCAGV.org/join
4) ACT – When the time comes, we’ll rely on your support to call your elected leaders and speak out about an important issue. Watch for our “Action Alert” emails and know that our success is dependent on your calls—as it is our Delaware General Assembly’s and Congress’ job to listen to constituents like you. You can also send them an email or a tweet! action.DeCAGV.org/
5) DIVEST – Is your 401k retirement plan invested in guns? Find out if there are public gun companies in your portfolio and learn what you can do to begin divesting and how to leave instructions with your financial adviser about not investing in gun manufacturers. unloadyour401k.com
6) UNDERSTAND – How do Delaware’s gun laws rank in comparison with other states? Could we do better? Check out the 2015 Gun Law Scorecard: gunlawscorecard.org
7) LEARN – Do your elected leaders care more about people or gun profits? Find out where our congressional representatives stand on guns and how much money they’ve received from the gun lobby. theguardian.com/gunmap
8) KNOW – How many people have been shot near your home this year? Enter your location and see the results of both fatal & nonfatal shootings in your area. thetrace.org/interactive-map-2015/
9) SHARE – The videos “Guns With History” and “Ed – Stronger Gun Laws” have over 7 million combined views on YouTube. Share these videos with your friends & families to see the effects of gun violence and the power we have to make our country safer. youtube.com/GunswithHistory & youtube.com/Ed
10) ASK – How do I keep my children safe from inadvertently accessing guns? “ASK” allows parents to play an active role in keeping kids safe. Download a toolkit—any parent can make a difference merely by asking and by encouraging others to do the same. askingsaveskids.org
11) SPEAK UP – The number one cause of firearm-related deaths is something rarely spoken of: suicide. Firearms in the home are associated with a significantly higher rate of suicide among gun owners and their families. Spread the word: Lock up your guns. harvard.edu/MeansMatter
12) DONATE – As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, the Delaware Coalition Against Gun Violence is solely supported by public contributions. Your involvement is critical to our work of preventing the proliferation of gun violence. If you haven’t done so already, please consider making a donation. Each tax deductible gift—$25, $50, $100, or any amount—is a testament to the shift to a safer America. DeCAGV.org/donate
Happy New Year—and stay in touch!